Sunday, December 21, 2008

My eldest piece of jewelry.

I started making jewelry a bit more than 3 years ago in 2005. Here in Belgium on December 6 we have a holiday that is mostly for children that is called Sinterklaas. Actually Sinterklaas (Saint Nicolas) is a historic figure but I have to admit (shame shame) I can't remember the exact story. I'm not sure if it was religious. On December 5 children put one of their shoes near the stove and at night Sinterklaas comes and visits all children that have been good. He comes through the hole in the roof from where smoke goes away (chimney?). He rides the roofs on a white horse and he also brings Zwarte Piet. Zwarte Piet is one of his helpers. In their shoes, the children put sugar and carrots for the horse and sometimes even a bottle of beer for Zwarte Piet. Because my mom didn't drink beer I usually put some ice tea for him. Then Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet would leave gifts for the children, usually toys and chocolate (hmm belgian chocolate ;) )


Usually children believe that Sinterklaas is real until they are told by their parents or find out themselves around 8-9 years old. However I still get some small gifts (yes I'm 19, not 9). So in 2005 I got some beads and a how to book and that is how it started (euhm long story I know).


Sooooo fast forward, well a few months. I was experimenting all the time and after a while of giving away I started selling too. I still have some necklaces from back then, I believe the eldest one is from march or april 2006. I still have that and it's still for sale. There is nothing wrong with it, it just hasn't found the right buyer yet. It is made with velvet cord in black and beads in transparant with a pink core. I'm not sure what material they are but I think they are acrylic.


Here you can find a picture of this necklace:

I think it has been with me for long enough and now I would really like to sell it. It is also very cheap, only 16 dollars with shipping included!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_10&listing_id=16078165

1 comment:

Kimberly Monaco said...

I love this piece! I can't believe it hasn't sold... don't worry, the right person will come..

oh... by-the-way... you've been tagged!!
http://monacodesigns.blogspot.com